Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
When it comes to colored pencils for professional artists, there’s no need to sacrifice quality for affordability. In fact, there are a number of high-quality brands of colored pencils that offer great value without compromising on performance.
The art supplies market is loaded with different brands of coloring pencils, when you need a high-quality set for professional use, there are a few specific brands that stand out. Here are seven of the best colored pencils brands for professional artists.
- Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
- The Different Types of Colored Pencils
- Wax-based colored pencils
- Oil-based colored pencils
- Watercolor colored pencils
- Pros and Cons of Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
- What to Look for When Buying Professional Colored Pencils
- The Best Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
- 7 High-Quality Brands Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
Affiliate Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, which means we will receive a commission if you make a purchase using these links
The Different Types of Colored Pencils
There are different types of colored pencils for professional artists on the market, but all fall into three categories: wax-based, oil-based, and watercolor.
- Wax-based colored pencils are the most common type. They are made with a lead that is encased in wax. The lead is what makes contact with the paper, and the wax binds the lead to the paper. This type of colored pencil is easy to use and produces bright colors. However, wax-based pencils can be heavy and difficult to blend.
- Oil-based colored pencils are made with a lead that is encased in oil. The oil helps to blend the colors together and makes them smoother than wax-based pencils. However, oil-based pencils can be expensive and take a long time to dry.
- Watercolor colored pencils. These pencils are designed to be used like watercolors, with water added to create lighter or darker shades. They come in a wide range of colors and are perfect for adding color and detail to drawings.
Wax-based colored pencils
Arteza Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
There’s something about a set of quality art supplies that just makes you feel like an artist. And when that set includes a professional-grade colored pencil set? Even better.
With soft wax-based cores that blend and layer like a pro, Arteza Colored Pencils will have you creating masterpiece after masterpiece. What’s more, the superior quality of these pencils means that your artwork will last for years to come.
Oil-based colored pencils
Nyoni Oil-Based Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
Nyoni oil based 120 colored pencils set is a perfect choice for professional artists. The rich color selection can meet your needs and the high color concentration will not fade easily.
The pencils are also well-crafted with a wood body, which makes them comfortable to hold and easy to control.
Watercolor colored pencils
Derwent Inktense Pencils
Derwent Inktense Pencils are a unique breed of pencils. They’re made with a pure, vibrant water-soluble ink that creates strong vivid tones with a translucent ink-like effect.
This makes them perfect for artists and designers who want to add depth and vibrancy to their work. The colors are also highly pigmented, so they can be used for both detailed work and large areas of color.
Pros and Cons of Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
There is no denying that colored pencils are a popular medium for artists. They are versatile, relatively easy to use, and produce beautiful results. However, there are also some drawbacks to using them.
- The pros of colored pencils are their vibrant colors, their ability to create a wide range of tones and shades, and the fact that they are relatively affordable. They can be used for detailed drawings and large-scale pieces, making them an excellent option for artists of all skill levels.
- The main con of colored pencils is that they can be difficult to blend well. If you are looking for smooth transitions between colors, you may need to experiment with different techniques or use other mediums in conjunction with your colored pencils.
What to Look for When Buying Professional Colored Pencils
When looking for colored pencils, it is important to consider what you will be using them for. Artists who plan to use their colored pencils for shading and blending should look for a set with a wide range of colors.
Sets that come with a built-in sharpener are also a good option, as they make it easy to keep your pencils sharpened. If you plan on using your colored pencils primarily for coloring, then any set will do. However, it is important to choose a set with bright and vibrant colors if you want your finished product to look its best.
The Best Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
When it comes to picking the best colored pencils for artists, there are a few things to take into consideration:
- The first is the type of paper you will be using with the colored pencils. Some papers are better suited for certain types of mediums than others. The best type of paper to use with colored pencils is one that is relatively heavy and has a slightly rough surface. This will help to hold the color and prevent it from smudging. Heavier papers are also less likely to warp when wet, which can be an issue if you plan on using watercolors or other wet mediums over your colored pencil artwork.
- The second consideration is the quality of the colored pencils themselves. Not all colored pencils are created equal, and some will produce richer and more vibrant colors than others.
- The best colored pencils for artists are those that are made with high-quality materials. They should be soft enough to create a range of tones, but not too soft that they break easily. They should also be able to produce rich and vibrant colors.
- The recognized and trusted brands are the best. Some best brands of colored pencils for artists include Prismacolor, Derwent, Caran d’Ache Luminance, Faber-Castell, Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor, and Castle Art Supplies Colored Pencils. These pencils usually come in sets of 72 or more, so you have a variety of colors to work with.
7 High-Quality Brands Colored Pencils for Professional Artists
When it comes to choosing the right colored pencils for your artwork, there are a few things you need to take into consideration. The brand of the pencils is one important factor, as some brands are of better quality than others. Here are seven high-quality professional colored pencil brands that artists can trust:
1. Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils
Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils are the perfect tools for artists and crafters of all levels of experience. The soft, thick cores are perfect for shading and shadows, and the lightfast, richly saturated pigments provide beautiful, even color laydown. These pencils are also ultra-smooth, making them ideal for detailed work.
2. Derwent Chromaflow Colored Pencils 72 Tin
Looking for the perfect colored pencil set that can handle the pressure? Look no further than Derwent Chromaflow Colored Pencils 72 Tin. These premium core strength pencils are perfect for artists of all levels, and can easily handle the pressure when sharpening and in use. With a range of vibrant colors to choose from, you’ll be able to create beautiful artwork that will stand out from the competition.
3. Caran d’Ache Luminance
The Caran d’Ache Luminance set offers high lightfastness and smoothness, made in Switzerland. With 76 pieces, this assortment can be blended and layered for various effects. Pigments are carefully selected to create intense colors with a wide range of shades.
4. Faber Castell Premium Color Pencil
The Faber Castell Premium Color Pencils are a must-have for any artist or creative. With rich, vibrant colors and a silky smooth colour laydown, these hexagonal pencils provide superior grip and control. The high pigmentation results in medium soft 3.3 mm lead that is perfect for shading and blending.
5. Arteza Colored Pencils Professional Set
Arteza Colored Pencils Professional are the perfect tools for artists of all levels. The smooth texture and highly-pigmented colors make blending, layering, and mixing colors a breeze. The break-resistant cores prevent the pencils from breaking while you’re using them, so you can focus on your art.
6. Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor Colored Pencils
Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor Colored Pencils are premium quality colored pencils that are oil-based and highly pigmented. They lay down smooth with no wax build-up, making them perfect for drawing and coloring. The set includes 24 AP-certified colors, which makes them ideal for professional artists of all levels.
7. Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils
Castle Art Supplies 72 Colored Pencils Set offers smooth coverage and effortless layering, blending, and shading. The soft lead creates a wide range of colors and the buttery laydown defies crumbling under pressure. The pencils hold their point for controlled, precise strokes and the durable wood casing ensures long-lasting use.
In conclusion, colored pencils for professional artists are the perfect medium for anyone who wants to add vibrancy and life to their work. The wide range of colors available in various brands makes it easy to find the perfect set of pencils for any project.
With consistency and practice, artists can create stunning pieces with colored pencils that will transform their work and inspire others.